Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rick Rack Skirt

The instructions for this Rick Rack Skirt are very similar to the Vertical Strips.
I forgot to take pictures when I started it, sorry.

You will need: 2/3 yard of main fabric, 1/2 yard of coordinating fabric, coordinating rick rack the total diameter of the skirt.

Step 1: take waist measurement and times it by 3 to get your total diameter for the skirt.

Cut main fabric into panel of 10 inches by total diameter (you will have to piece it together. I had a strip 10 x 40 and a strip 10 x 20 that I sewed together)

Cut coordinating fabric: Top strip 4 inches by total diameter. Bottom strip 6 inches by total diameter. (Again, you'll have to piece it together)

After piecing together, sew the top and bottom strips onto the main panel to look like this:

Since I don't have a serger, I like to do a small zigzag near the edge of my seams, instead of pressing open.
After all strips are sewn together, match sides to sew into a tube.
Next, fold bottom layer (6 inch) up to meet the hem and sew.
I used a small zigzag to attach.
This is what it will look like when done. Inside:
Outside:
On the outside, use longest stitch along the edge of the top layer and main panel to make a finished top stitch.
This is what it will look like. I also made the tube for the elastic.
Add rick rack to the bottom of skirt on the seam.
Finished:
Add elastic, and you're done!!
I loved it so much I made 3!
Conli, Sawyer, & Mara

No comments:

Post a Comment